‘Connecting The Dots’ (CTD) was established by professionals from diverse backgrounds with a common passion to enrich the teaching of Science & Mathematics in our schools. CTD was established with one mission: to improve the quality of education in our schools. There are countless reports on the alarming state of quality of India’s education system. Students in primary and middle schools are found lacking conceptual knowledge and problem solving skills. The problem gets worse in high school and beyond.
CTD was born out of a deep faith that teaching disciplines like Science and Mathematics should be made more practical, hands-on and fun. Boundaries around various disciplines have to be softened so that children can get an integrated and seamless understanding of concepts. The “rote-learning” practice in most schools and the extremely “exam” oriented approach of our education system merely prepares children to pass exams – and not to develop a deep understanding or appreciation of any subject. Science and Mathematics, even in the better schools in India, tend to remain abstract and confined to textbooks.
We feel that children and teachers should be made more aware and appreciative of “Science all around us” and that the only way to learn these subjects is by improving conceptual understanding of these subjects among teachers and students. Our approach is to connect a central concept to everyday experiences and to the functioning of the world around us. When children connect these dots in their minds, there is a lasting impression on them.
We work with the two central entities of the Education system: Teachers and Students.
Our Vision and Mission
Offer High Quality Education (high caliber instructors, unique methodology & content, rigorous outcome-tracking)
- to Students and Teachers of K12
- in LSTEM (Languages, Science, Math, Economics, Accounting and Programming)
- Leveraging Technology (to achieve scale and create new operating models)
- Adhering to the highest standards of Integrity And Transparency
- While remaining committed to being A Social Enterprise (80% operations where sponsor and beneficiary are different, very low cost per student per year in relation to comparable commercial services and long term y-o-y engagement with the same beneficiaries, rigorous tracking of social outcomes)
Our Mission - 20 by 2020
- Impact TWENTY LAKH students by 2020
- Provide services pan-India and to other developing countries
- Provide services in English and at least 5 regional languages
- Work with central government institutions like NCERT, ICSE board, CBSE board and RIE’s
- Launch teacher training program for the educated but unemployed youths in rural parts of the country
- Launch teacher reference resources like detailed lesson plans to standardize subject pedagogy
Our teaching methodology, based on our VALUE™ framework, introduces concepts in a holistic way and emphasizes practical applications, natural phenomena, experiments and demonstrations. This makes learning interesting and effective.
Our approach to teaching Science & Mathematics to students is based on five core principles which form our VALUE™ framework:
Value System: Values and ethics form the bedrock on which the future generation has to be built. They cannot be taught in isolation. We integrate imparting of values and ethics as a part of our teaching to make students the custodians of a future that is fair, sensitive and morally, sociologically and ecologically aware of their duties towards society.
Application in Engineering: We emphasize engineering & technology applications related to a concept. This allows students to appreciate the impact of Science & Mathematics on our modern lives.
Learner for Life: Science is not a ‘body of knowledge’ to be taught as a collection of old, settled facts. It is a dynamic, ongoing reconfiguration of knowledge. It is a constantly changing, self-correcting process. Old insights are constantly being challenged and new explanations evolving. A student of science has to cultivate a habit of keeping himself or herself abreast of this fascinatingly changing world of new discoveries and inventions.
Unified & Integrated view: We soften subject boundaries so that students can appreciate a concept in its entirety. In traditional teaching methods subject areas become watertight compartments. As a result, knowledge seems fragmented rather than interrelated and integrated. We systematically link every concept we teach to natural phenomena, engineering applications and cultural references. We also stimulate higher order thinking through “how”, “why” and “what-if” questions.
Experiential learning: We demonstrate concepts through experiments, working models, computer simulations, audio- visual content, field trips, games and magic tricks. This makes concepts less abstract for students. Our ’Science in the news’ sessions make students aware of the constant progress that mankind makes in Science & Technology.
The above principles also form the backbone of our unique methodology and pedagogy for training teachers. Teachers are also trained on other aspects important to their profession and necessary in they becoming successful and effective in imparting education to their students.
Impact On Teachers
- More than 2100 in-service and pre-service teachers trained
- Teacher training programs delivered in 50+ B.Ed. and D.Ed. Colleges
- Teacher training programs delivered in 25+ Private schools
- More than 25,000 teacher training days delivered
- 84% of the teachers trained actively use CTD’s teaching methodology
- 98% of the teachers trained said that CTD’s training helped them prepare better lesson plans and teaching aids
Impact On Students
- More than 5000 students coached across private, government and government-aided schools
- More than 100,000 coaching-hours delivered to students
- More than 90% of students coached extremely happy with coaching
- More than 95% students indicated that they had never learnt Science and Maths this way
- More than 83% students said they no longer feared Science and Maths
- More than 98% students felt that they were better equipped to answer application-oriented questions